7.25.2008

Violey Emerges!



This is me yesterday. I had to wear this funny collar for a couple of days, because my legs are itchy and I can't help but scratch them. Even though I was wearing the collar, I heard Glasses Mommy tell the vet on the phone that I'd "turned a corner" and was doing much better. I don't know what that means, exactly...but I think it's a good thing.

I know I haven't written since the weekend - basically, things were really, really hard all last week and over the weekend. Curly Mommy stayed home with me alone Monday and Tuesday, and she had it the hardest. I was only sleeping for about 4 hours at a time, and so that's when she would sleep. She took great care of me, though, hand-feeding me and giving me my medicine.

I went back to the vet on Monday because I was crying and flinching so much. The vet upped my medications, and kept me for the rest of the day "under observation" which sounds really scary but really just meant they could watch me. I acted like I felt better so they would let me go home. I was so happy when Glasses Mommy showed up to pick me up at the end of the day.

I could show my real self - the one who cried and didn't feel so good - back at home to my mommies. I know the doctors think they're a little nuts because I pretended to feel better while at the vet. I didn't want to stay there! Thankfully, my mommies' workplaces have been very understanding and flexible and have let them, at various times, "work from home." I have found that working from home means that they balance me on their laps while they look at their computers and type furiously fast, or while they talk on the phone all loud and insistent. But then they stop every 45 minutes or so to take me outside, or give me medicine, or feed me.

Eating has been a challenge. After being a good eater right after my surgery, suddenly over the weekend and even as late as Tuesday and Wednesday of this week I refused to eat unless hand-fed by one of my mommies. I also wouldn't eat my dog food. I found that if I refused to eat dog food, I would get better and better treats! First, scrambled eggs. Yum! Then, when I refused to eat eggs (after all, how many meals in a row can I be expected to eat the same thin?) I got baby food that comes in a jar. Sweet potato and chicken! Chicken and rice! I never knew anything like this existed, so it was a pleasant surprise.

Yesterday I got baby food mixed with my dog food. Today I figured I should start eating regular food, so I obliged and actually ate a mixture that was more dog food and less baby food. I thought I'd give my mommies a thrill.

Then, I gave them another thrill by, you guessed it, not only using the facilities somewhat regularly, but also...by standing up and walking! They were, I think, horrified the first couple times they saw me crab walk across the room. They kept picking me up and trying to keep me still. But, eventually, they had to set me down on the floor and when they'd look away I'd crab walk a little bit for practice. Eventually, I progressed to this...


They are so proud! Now, I am trying to walk everywhere and they have to try to keep me confined. I whine and cry; I just want to be free! A couple of times I faked them out by pretending to be sleeping in my dog bed so they would leave the room. Then, I got up and tried to run out of the living room and across the kitchen! Once I did get all the way to the back door before they saw me. I know, I know. They are trying to keep me still for my own good. But it's boring being kept in my dog bed.







So, they play with me while I am lying down. I love playing with this red ball.

I hear I have to go back to the vet tomorrow...I am a little bit scared, but I have to wonder:
Do you think I'll get my bandages off soon?


1 comment:

Janna Jacobson said...

OH! It is so great to see you up and moving again Violey! Wish I could give you some snuggles too.

Love,

Duncan and Crew...

ps - nice work on the baby food - with any luck that could be long term!

:-)